My practice accepts insurance for patients. To best serve you, I can verify your insurance benefits before you arrive. Please click on the link below and complete the online form. I will contact you as soon as the benefits are established.
- Holistic Alternativesat Essentials Day Spa
34302 US Hwy 19 N
Palm Harbor, FL 34684
Appointments @Essentials Day Spa:
Palm Harbor HoursMon-Fri10am to 8pmSat10am to 6pmSun10am to 4pm
Most Insurance Accepted
- New Patient Clinic FormsPlease print & fill out our clinic forms to speed up your intake process during your 1st visit.
Embracing Herbal Therapy: What You Need to Know
Herbal therapy has been championed by China and other Eastern countries for centuries. As Western medicine looks for more natural alternatives with fewer side effects, herbal medicine is gaining a foothold in the treatment of several common health concerns. Read on for advice from the Cleveland Clinic and learn what recent research has to say about herbalism. continue reading
Herbs & Acupressure Points for Coronavirus
As we learn to navigate this new world where an ever looming virus is present, it’s important to learn which ways we can help ourselves and loved ones,get through a time of illness.. Below are herbal remedies and acupressure points for self-care to help aid with symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing, shortness of breath and fevers. continue reading
Successful Herbs to Move Liver Qi
We often say in Traditional Chinese Medicine that the liver is the system most easily susceptible to stress. Stress knots the Qi (energy) and makes its flow stagnate – this happens most quickly in the liver energy system. The liver, in TCM, is in charge of the smooth flow of Qi throughout the body. This means that if Qi flow is impaired (ie, by stress), the liver system will suffer. Likewise, if the liver energy system is weak or stagnant (from lifestyle choices, diet, trauma, emotional stress, illness or genetic factors), Qi flow throughout the body may be impaired. continue reading
COVID-19: Immunity & Our LI Community
Dear LI community,
As you already know, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is very real and it is everyone’s responsibility to help keep our community safe from the rapid spread of Coronavirus. To help slow the spread of this virus, it is now more important than ever to take an abundance of caution to help protect you, your family, our community and our healthcare system. Prevention is the best medicine. Below are some resources for our patients and community during this critical time.
What You Can Do To Take Care Of Yourself
The most important things you can do to support your immune system are basic:
- Don’t panic. Stress is bad for your immune system. It’s normal to have worried thoughts. Just don’t entertain them for too long. Make some time to do something enjoyable each day and connect with loved ones.
- Wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face unless you just washed your hands.
- Get enough sleep. Turn off the screens and start winding down a little earlier.
- Drink lots of water to support healthy mucous membranes as a first line of defense. Hot water and tea have been shown to inhibit viruses in our throat.
- Eat more nutrient dense whole foods, soups, and bone broth.
- Eat less inflammatory foods: sugar, industrial seed oils, processed foods, alcohol, and foods you are sensitive to (wheat, dairy, eggs, nightshades etc.)
- Support lung health by doing some even breathing, preferably outdoors in fresh air, to move circulation and clear out toxins. Breath in through your nose for a count of 5, hold for 1 count, then out through your mouth for a count of 5, hold for 1 count. Repeat. Make counts even and not too long that you struggle.
What You Can Do To Help Boost Your Immune System
- Probiotics are an important part of your immune system. They’re available in fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, raw sauerkraut, specifically labeled pickles, miso, kombucha (careful because it can contain lots of sugar and some caffeine). Consider supplementing with a concentrated pill or powder.
- Elderberry syrup is a go to recommendation for antiviral support that you can order online or get at Whole Foods.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc are also good supplements to boost your immune system.
If you are feeling ill, or experiencing any of the following symptoms, please limit your exposure to other people in your community.
By taking action, you will significantly delay the spread of COVID-19:
- Fever (oral temperature 100.4° or higher) or symptoms of fever (such as chills or body aches) within the past 24 hours. Please do not consider yourself fever-free until your temperature has been normal for at least 24 hours without the use of Tylenol (acetaminophen). The World Health Organization (WHO) currently recommends avoiding Advil (ibuprofen) and other NSAIDs for COVID-19 symptoms until more information is available.
- Shortness of breath and/or cough that is not known to be caused by another condition (for example allergies).
- Travel within the past 14 days to areas that have people known to be infected with COVID-19.
- Close contact with a person known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Healthcare workers who have been in contact with patients known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
Up-to-date COVID-19 Data from the World Health Organization
For the current number of cases worldwide, the World Health Organization maintains a COVID-19 Situation Report worldwide. Click here.
While these times may feel unusually challenging, please know we will continue to monitor the current situation and evaluate additional measures to help support our patients, employees and community. Thank you and stay safe.
Natural Pain Relief Solutions for Sciatica
Sciatica is a general term for pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve, which is in the lower back. It is a common condition affecting roughly 3 million people annually.
Typical causes for sciatica are a herniated disc, bone spurs or even a tumor. These conditions press on the nerve, causing pain that radiates down the hips, buttocks, lower back, and/or the back of one or both legs. It is more common for sciatica to affect just one leg, and the pain may extend all the way to the foot.
In addition to pain, sciatica can cause numbness, tingling, weakness, or even a burning sensation in the affected area. It is not uncommon for individuals suffering from sciatica to catch their foot on the ground when walking.
Sciatica is a treatable condition. Treatments for sciatica pain relief include massage, acupuncture, and herbal therapy. Holistic Alternatives can provide all of these forms of therapy and can tailor a plan using any combination of the three to address your pain.
Acupuncture can be a highly effective treatment for sciatica, addressing pain and symptoms without drugs or surgery. Scientific studies have shown that acupuncture has a total effective rate of over 80% in treating sciatica when used alone, a rate that increases when used in combination with herbal medicine. Acupuncture can address sciatica pain by lowering the levels of certain biochemicals in the body, reducing pain and inflammation. Benefits have been observed from treatments using both traditional acupuncture and electroacupuncture.
Acupuncture can have both immediate and long-lasting impacts on sciatica pain. In addition to reducing inflammation, acupuncture causes the body to release natural opioids, reducing the intensity of sciatica pain. Further, acupuncture has been shown to aid in the repair of nerve damage. Indeed, at least one meta-analysis of numerous studies of sciatica treatments has shown that acupuncture is more effective than medication in treating sciatica.
Massage therapy can be an effective means of reducing the pain of sciatica, with studies suggesting that massage can be more effective than non-steroidal anti-inflammatories in treating sciatica pain.
Massage can reduce muscle tension and lead to the release of natural endorphins, both leading to diminished pain. Massage therapy also improves blood circulation and reduces stress, further contributing to diminished pain and improving the body’s natural healing abilities.
Herbal therapies have been used for thousands of years to treat sciatica pain as a part of traditional Chinese medicine. Herbal therapies have particularly measurable benefits in reducing pain from sciatica when combined with acupuncture. Studies have shown that a combination of acupuncture and herbal remedies can have a total effective rate of 95% in treating sciatica pain.
Qualified in all the above forms of therapy, Holistic Alternatives can offer a drug free, non-surgical means to sciatica pain relief.
L.Ac., LMT, Diplomate of Oriental Medicine
Contact Robert to schedule an appointment:
Texts welcome (727) 266-3000.
TCM practitioner for over 20 yrs:
- Licensed Acupuncturist
- Licensed Massage Therapist
- Diplomate of Oriental Medicine
- Reiki Master
- Ordained Interfaith Minister
- Optavia Coach
- Certified Nutritionist
- Certified Fitness Trainer
“I offer alternatives to harsh drugs & invasive procedures when practical & safe to do so. I believe in supporting the healing qualities & wisdom of your body. Clients receive quality care with uninterrupted attention for 60 minutes or longer per session.”
Holistic Alternatives Gift Certificates
Looking for a last minute gift idea?
Share the joy of holistic wellness with your loved ones!
Contact Robert Lutz to purchase gift certificates today:
Gift certificates can be used for any Holistic Alternatives treatment:
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Chair Time
- AcuGraph Scans
Holistic Alternatives’ new (additional) location in Sayville, NY
In addition to our primary space in Palm Harbor, FL, we have added a second location in Sayville, NY for your added convenience.
Holistic Alternatives’ new (additional) location is:
275 West Main Street Sayville, NY 11782
Holistic Alternatives is “At Your Service”
When booking a session at our natural pain and stress relief centers, you receive much greater value compared to other massage-only places that give you a 50 minute massage with no other added modalities (unless paying extra for them).
At Holistic Alternatives, you receive the added value of experiencing all modalities during your session, at your discretion.
This can include: Therapeutic Massage (while laying on an Amethyst Biomat), Acupuncture, Cupping, Reiki, Nutrition and more. All of this combined can give you the most optimal and effective pain and/or stress relief.
New Sayville location deals:
30 minutes for $60
60 minutes for $90
Treating now in both Palm Harbor & Sayville locations!
380 Park Avenue Palm Harbor, FL 11743
275 West Main Street Sayville, NY 11782
Available appointment hours:
(Closed Sundays both locations)
Wednesday 8am – 8pm
Friday 8am – 3pm
Monday, Tuesday & Thurs 8am – 8pm
Saturday 8am – 3pm
Contact Robert Lutz to schedule an appointment:
Texts welcome: (727) 266-3000
$ Most Insurances Accepted
NYSHIP (New York Society for Health Planning) Accepted
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) & Health Savings Accounts (HSA) accepted as payment.
Boost It With Ginseng
Ginseng is said to resemble a human body in shape, and it has been used for years in Asia. Recently, it has become a popular item in Western culture. Many claims about this root have been advertised, such as its reputation for extending longevity and its use for stamina and endurance. Let’s look at the types of ginseng and the differences.
There are three main types of ginseng used: continue reading